Cultural transmission / Outreach
Opera Fuoco’s outreach program has had a significant impact on the communities in and around Paris. From 2006- 2015, during Opera Fuoco residency at the Theatre de St Quentin near Paris, hundreds of school children from underprivileged areas were exposed to opera, learned librettos and arias in Italian French, German and English, and often performed on stage with Opera Fuoco’s young artists and orchestra. During these years and followed by collaborations with the Philharmonie de Paris and the Salle Ravel in Levallois, primary-, middle- and high-school-aged children and their teachers have been instructed under David Stern’s leadership, working with prifessional singers, choreographers and stage diectors.
Outreach in partnership with the Opéra de Massy and the Château d’Ecouen – Musée National de la Renaissance.
- 1 7th-grade class from the lycée professionnel horticole – Campus Saint-Antoine, Marcoussis
- 2 8th-grade classes from the lycée professionnel horticole – Campus Saint-Antoine, Marcoussis
In 2023, students are introduced to singing and drawing through several encounters, a thematic visit to the Musée National de la Renaissance and an open rehearsal of the Fuoco Obbligato chamber ensemble.
In 2024, 3rd graders will practice drawing around mythical heroes with an illustrator. They will draw inspiration from arias recorded by singers from the Opera Fuoco Young Artist Petrogram. 4th graders practice their singing skills by discovering opera arias and choruses featuring mythical heroes and heroines, under the guidance of conductor David Stern, soloists from the YAP and a vocal coach.
Final concert at the Opéra de Massy on May 3, 2024.
David Stern (musical direction), Pierrick Boisseau (vocal coach), Iryna Kyshliaruk (soprano), Olivier Gourdy (basse-baritone), Rodolphe Lospied (piano), Arianna Tamburini (illustrator).
This project is generously supported by the Bettencourt-Schueller Foundation.
ANNÉES 2023 ET 2024
2018 ET 2019
BACH EN SCAT ET EN HIP-HOP
Outreach in partnership with the Philharmonie de Paris and the Compagnie Par Terre/Anne Nguyen.
- 1 class of 5th grade from Collège Molière in Ivry sur Seine
- 1 class of 5th grade from the Edgar Varèse College in Paris 19ème
In 2018: Students are introduced to scat through canons, concertos and inventions composed by Bach.
In 2019: With choreographer Anne NGuyen and the Compagnie Par Terre, counterpoint and harmonies are translated into gestures and the young people's movements embody every subtlety of the music. Each piece will be performed in scat by college students and Opera Fuoco soloists accompanied by a jazz trio.
Final performance at the Philharmonie de Paris on June 13, 2019.
Natalie Perez and Benoît Rameau (singers soloists), Aurélie Reybier (vocal coach), Thomas Lavoine (piano), Camille Taver (piano), dancers of the Compagnie Par Terre.
Outreach project linked to the "Sing Bach!" concert given on June 4, 2017 at the Philharmonie de Paris, as part of the "Week-ends amateurs".
- 1 class of 6th graders from Jacques Prévert high school in Noisy-le-Grand
- 1 class of 5th grade from the Henri Matisse high school in Choisy-le-Roi
- 1 class of 6th graders from the Marcel Pagnol secondary school in Le Plessis-Bouchard
- 1 introduction to the world of Bach and the cantatas at the Philharmonie de Paris on November 15, 2016
- Animated by David Stern, with Jennifer Courcier, Axelle Fanyo, Benoit Rameau and Kayo Tsukamoto
- 5 sessions per class from January to May 2017
- Work on voice and vocal techniques
- Discovery of the world of Bach, his life and his influence through the centuries
- Discovery of Bach's counterpoint and choral music
- Learning the final choruses of the cantatas BWV1 and BWV12
Axelle Fanyo, Natalie Perez and Benoit Rameau (singers soloists), Kayo Tsukamoto (piano)
Outreach project related to the Cosi Fanciulli concert given on May 10, 2016 at the Théâtre André Malraux.
- 1 class of 5th grade from Pasteur College in Versailles
- 1 introduction to the work (history of Cosi Fan Tutte and Cosi Fanciulli, explanation of the characters...)
- 1 singing intervention (vocal practice, learning the main aria of the Cosi Fanciulli choir, explanation of the lyric soloist's career, details on the functioning of the voice)
Natalie Perez and Benoit Rameau (singers soloists).
Outreach project related to the concerts of L'Elisir d'Amore given on January 16 and 17, 2015 at the Theater of Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines.
- 1 primary class 3rd and 4th grades (23 students) from L'Etang la Ville - PEAC class (Artistic and Cultural Educational Project) in partnership with the DSDEN 78
- 1 high school class, music option of different levels of the high school (50 students) of Maurepas
- 3 singing sessions (vocal practice around Bel Canto, influences, specificities, context ...)
- 2 theater sessions (learning the text, setting the scene, knowing the evolution of the plot, focusing on the text)
- 1 concert "Around the Bel Canto" (December 2014)
Axelle Fanyo (singer soloist), Kayo Tsukamoto (piano)
This 2014/2015 season, Opera Fuoco reached out to 300 children and their families.
Outreach project in connection with the premiere of Cosi Fanciulli and the performances of this opera in May and June 2014.
- 2 classes forming the Cosi Fanciulli chorus on stage: Pierre Brossolette School in Les Mureaux and Maurice Thorez School in Trappes
- 11 classes - 260 children
Follow-up sessions for all 11 classes:
- 3 singing sessions per class
- 2 theater sessions per class
- 2 days of immersion (conductor, stage director, artists)
- 2 concerts (in the presence of the artistic team of Cosi Fanciulli)
- Performances at the Theatre of Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Staging for the 2 classes forming the choir of Cosi Fanciulli on stage:
- 10 theater interventions in two classes (Cosi Fanciulli choir)
- 6 interventions Chant dans deux classes (chœur de Cosi Fanciulli)
- 1 technical visit (staging, scenography, costumes)
- 2 concerts (in the presence of the artistic team of Cosi Fanciulli)
- 3 performances at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines in front of 3800 spectators in total
Julie Fioretti (singer), Kayo Tsukamoto (piano), Anais de Courson (assistant stage director), Anne-Catherine Chargot (theater)
COSI FAN TUTTE
Outreach project related to the Cosi Fan Tutte concerts given on March 29 and 30, 2013 at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
- 1 singing session per month
- 1 outreach concert (December 2012)
- Work on the staging of Cosi Fanciulli
Pierrick Boisseau, Elizabeth Askren, Natalie Perez, Kayo Tsukamoto
CHANTONS AVEC MOZART
Outreach project linked to the Singing with Mozart concert on June 7, 2013 at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Audience: 250 children on stage (12 classes)
Sessions and final concert:
- 1 session per week from October to June
- 1 week of immersion
- Performance on stage
Caroline Tomba et Pierrick Boisseau
Outreach project related to the Mikado concert given on May 25, 2012 at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin- en-Yvelines.
Public : 4 classes
- 6 music sessions by Elizabeth Askren and 1 soloist
1 cultural session by Jay Bernfeld (historical context of the work)
10 theater sessions by Anne-Catherine Chagrot and Véronique Samakh (preparation of the scenic part)
10 writing sessions aimed at adapting the work (rewriting a dramatic coherence) to a shorter format through a new, more contemporary narrative (work on the satirical and offbeat narrative) with Félix Pruvost
Calligraphy and Origami Workshops
with Véronique Samakh and the theater technicians from the vocational high school and SEGPA college classes involved in the construction of the costumes and sets
- 2 days of immersion at the Théâtre de Saint Quentin en Yvelines with all participants
1 outreach concert with 3 soloists
- 7 days of "tutti" rehearsals at the theater: artistic work, finalization of the construction of sets and costumes
- 1 public performance
Outreach project related to the Zanaida concerts given on February 10 and 11, 2012 at the Théâtre de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines.
Public : 8 classes
- 3 meetings with Claire Planchez (Costume designer)
- Outreach concert on December 6, 2011 (in presence of the director)